Kanye's Got Songs For All Seasons

As I walked to my car after the Miners-Otters game sometime around midnight, I was in search of some tunes to soothe me as I winded down after a pretty long day at the ballpark. I ended up settling on Kanye West's 808s & Heartbreaks album only one day after co-signing on Jay-Z's "Death Of Autotune (D.O.A.)" track. Go figure.

Yeezy's concept album got me through a difficult winter on a personal level as I tuned my ears to listen to the icy could sounds that came as a result of the end of his long-term relationship with his fiancee and the death of his mother. That is when I realized that 808s & Heartbreaks was out of season. In my mind, the autotune-filled album that features Mr. West singing more than he raps is a definite cold-weather album.

Thankfully, Kanye has a treasure chest full of hits and I have most (if not all) of them at my disposal. Here are a handful of favorites that should get your head nodding and your mouth smiling as I aim to move away from the sadness that surrounded 808s & Heartbreaks.

  1. Good Life feat. T-Pain (Graduation) - I'll never forget that the first time I heard this song was at the end of an episode of Entourage. Upbeat with a Michael Jackson sample (of P.Y.T.) to boot, Mr. West delivers a feel good jam here.
  2. We Major feat. Nas (Late Registration) - The bridge that helped Nas come a step closer to performing on a track with Jay-Z was this guest spot on Kanye's Late Registration album. Kanye starts the song off with a set of killer punchlines including: "Feeling better than some head on a Sunday afternoon / Better than a chick that say 'yes' too soon / Until you have a daughter, that's what I call karma / and you pray to God she don't grow breast too soon" and gets better as the song goes on.
  3. Slow Jamz feat. Twista & Jamie Foxx (College Dropout) - This song helped launch West's first album along with Twista's mainstream listenability while also re-launch Foxx's singing career. All while using a Luther Vandross sample.
  4. Down and Out by Cam'ron (Puple Haze) - The first track that does not feature a full Kanye verse is one of my favorite songs off one of Killa Cam's best albums. Over a soul-sample and some pulsating vibes, Cam'ron rides out some kick-butt rhymes as West delivers the hook.
  5. Southside by Common feat. Kanye West (Finding Forever) - The playful back-and-forth between two Chi-town legends was also remixed into a Chicago Super Bowl anthem.
  6. Whole City Behind Us feat. Ludacris & The Game - In what will be forever known as "that one song for Boost Mobile" each rapper delivered a bar about their home towns, but Kanye's verse brings it all home in the kind of track that makes me kind of home sick.
  7. Number One by Pharrel feat. Kanye West (In My Mind) - West kills it with this section of his guest verse: "I'mma FedEx my love and have you sign for my heart / For my number one I keep you dumb fly / fresh to death, you life after death / I resurrected my gold Jesus of Nazareth / Now we Fresh as a Prince while they Jazzy Jeff." Insert your "oohs" here.
  8. I Poke Her Face (I Make Her Say...) by Kid Cudi, Kanye West & Common - Mr. West did a number by using the Lady GaGa sample. One man's trash is another's treasure as three great verses are delivered here.
  9. Brand New by Rhymefest feat. Kanye - The one flaw in this track is that Rhymefest out-duels 'Ye until you realize Yeezy dropped that "I make Black History everyday, I don't need a month" line.
  10. Maybach Music 2 by Rick Ross feat. Kanye West, Lil' Wayne & T-Pain - Kanye shines on a track in which he ditches the autotune while Lil' Wayne mails in an average verse, for his standards.
  11. Flight School feat. T-Pain - Released in early 2009 to the mixtape circuit, Flight School was the track in which I realized Kanye had left his autotune days in the rearview mirror, or at least handed them back to their rightful owner, T-Pain.
Playlist Time: 49 minutes, 26 seconds

0 comments:

Post a Comment